Tuesday 8 April 2014

Happy birthday Chris!



I made this for my brother's birthday. It is a chocolate fudge cake cut in half and filled and covered with chocolate orange ganache. I had made this ganache before, but I made it to be chocolate orange flavour by substituting half of the milk chocolate for chocolate orange segments. Also, Chris loves Smarties, so I adapted this cake to turn it into a piƱata cake. This was done by cutting a circle into the middle of both cake halves, and scooping out the cake. I then filled this with Smarties and placed the cakes together. After covering the cake with ganache I arranged some chocolate orange segments on the top of the cake, grated another segment and sprinkled this on top. I then scraped a fork around the edge of the cake to create the pattern you can see on it. Although I'm not a fan of chocolate cake, I did enjoy this, and I really liked the ganache. Luckily, everyone else did too, especially Chris - he said it was the best birthday cake he had ever had, and I have my work cut out trying to make a better one for next year ehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment